Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Miss My Mamas

I have a problem. For the past two weeks I have been deprived of an essential nutrient to my otherwise healthy existence, something I need as much as my morning coffee, or lunch. I have been missing my mom-time.

I am fortunate enough to have found a nice collection of mom friends to spend time with in my community. We get together to talk, laugh, share horror stories, solicit advice, and let our kids play. Coming together with these women gives me the sense that I am not completely screwing things up for my children, that maybe I even have it a little bit together.

Last week my kids were sick and we were quarantined to the house. This week I have done nothing but work, with the goal of not bouncing any more checks. The end result? Sheer isolation with my loving (but energetic) two year old, whose conversation skills are impressive but just not cutting it. Tomorrow the mothers are getting together for our weekly playgroup. I will be sending Sofie with her babysitter as I will have worked all night and must spend the morning buried in my pillow. By the time I get up and join the land of the living it will be too late, the kids will become cranky and ready for naps themselves.

It's amazing how this time with other moms can give me the added rejuvenation to make it through the day, and even enjoy myself while doing it. I can't imagine trying to parent without having supportive friends around to help steer me in the right direction. We give each other the courage to help our children overcome new challenges, and help one another forget that sometimes being home with kids can be rather lonely. I am so lucky to have these women in my life, and if I ever see them again (probably not this week, boo hiss) I will be sure to tell them so.

No comments:

Post a Comment