Friday, July 4, 2014

Family Time

I just returned from a glorious fun-filled week in Pennsylvania with my extended family. Grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, we span the gauntlet from ages 5 to 87 with everything in between. We pile into a giant old house and prepare to relax for a week of serious family bonding.

I love a lot of things about this vacation, but the top of the list for me is the fact that we put away our phones and iPads, computers, and televisions (with the exception of the World Cup) and spend the week completely with each other. We march around the gorgeous lake, spend hours sunbathing on the beach and jumping off the long dock. We gather on the porch for cocktails and stories in the evening, and sit around a huge table for dinner, each night a new meal carefully crafted by a different chef.

This week we made time for charades and board games, Olympic water balloon tossing, and capture the flag (even my grandfather was making a go at that flag). We played endless rounds of our favorite game "What would you rather do?" and made many trips to the ice cream shop. We had costume night, fancy night, my cousin's birthday celebration, game night, and home movie night, among a few others. At one point after dinner we went around the table to talk about what we hoped we'd be doing at this time next year. The only thing that I honestly could say was that I hope I am lucky enough to be this happy next year, because this is pretty hard to beat, and I am feeling pretty blessed.

Packing up this morning was bittersweet as always, hugging good-bye for the long drive home. I was psyched to be home but once again, our glorious family week went by too fast. I am so grateful to be part of such a wonderful group of people, who I enjoy so thoroughly that I want to spend a week under the same roof. I can't wait to do it again next year.

Photo: Celebrity game night
Game Night

Photo: Time for the family Olympics complete with Chariots of Fire theme!

Kan Jam, my favorite Olympic sport

Photo: E
M

Aunties

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete